21 Things I've learnt by 21
A few weeks ago I wrote a blog post with 21 things I wanted to do before I turned 21, and before I update you on how well (or not so well) that went I thought I'd share a few things I've come to learn in the 21 years on this earth.
1. Spend as much time as you can with the people you love, and let them know how much they're loved, you never know how long you have with them.
2. Money and status are not important, instead concentrate on happiness and doing what good you can.
3. You cannot please everyone, just make sure you please yourself.
4. In the same way, you can't control somebody else's actions but you can control how you react.
5. It's pointless to worry and get worked up over the little things, they won't matter next week, let alone next year and you have bigger fish to fry.
6. Everybody hides something.
7. Stretch every morning, your body will thank you.
8. There is no rule that says you have to buckle down and get serious in your 20s, or 30s or 40s... live your life the way you want, have fun, as long as you're not hurting anyone else.
9. Take as many goddamn photos as you like.
10. Don't wait for validation from a man.
11. Don't compromise on your dreams, make them bigger.
12. You can never show enough gratitude, always say thank you in gestures as well as words.
13. You can always be sympathetic, but there is only so much you can do for others and sometimes you need to accept your limits.
14. People are thinking about you a lot less than you think, don't be so self-conscious.
15. Eat healthily because you enjoy it, not for the sake of it. So what if you hate broccoli, eat something you enjoy instead, make a salad.
16. Wear what you like, when you like and don't let other people's opinions of you define you. Define yourself.
17. You can always do better, read more, listen more, be kinder.
18. Don't judge without knowing the full picture, and even then remember that you can never fully understand what's going on in another persons life, or behind closed doors.
19. Never underestimate the help that you can give to someone, or its necessity.
20. If you need to apologise do more than just say sorry.
21. Know your flaws, work on yourself, but don't obsess over them.